Who am I? Pt. 1
October 5, 2008 Speaker: Chris Dowd Series: Identity
Topic: Sermons Passage: Colossians 2:1–2:7
"to reach all the riches of full assurance of understanding and the knowledge of God's mystery, which is Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge." Col. 2b-3
Was Jesus really God? Was the cross sufficient? These were questions that people in Colossae were asking. In the early church and in the age that we live in today it is vitally important to understand the deity of Christ and the sufficiency of the finished work of the cross.
The phrase that we need to understand is God's mystery:
- Some see Paul's use of the term mystery as a catchword that he borrowed from Gnosticism to use against his Gnostic opponents. The Gnostics believed that some "special" knowledge was needed for salvation.
- Most commentators agree that Paul uses mystery as a metaphor for God's plan of salvation for the Gentiles, which is unknown apart from divine revelation.
- But what does the rest of Scripture say about this term? Here are some other verses to look at for a deeper understanding of "mystery":
o Romans 16:25
o Ephesians 3:1-9
o Ephesians 5:32; 6:19
o 1 Timothy 3:16
- Paul's proclamation of the gospel discloses the mystery or revelation of God which had been hidden within his Scriptures for ages and generations but which God now has completely revealed in the person and finished work of Jesus.
- Jesus is the treasure chest of knowledge and wisdom and He is complete. Jesus + nothing = the full gospel and salvation for all
So what do we do with this knowledge? James writes, "Do not be hearers only and so deceive yourselves, but do what it says." (1:22) Many Christians are settled on this truth that Jesus is God but few live their lives like it is true. Many call Him Lord but simply do not live that truth out in their daily walk. Is Jesus "hidden" in your life or can He be clearly seen by those around you?
JOIN US NEXT WEEK AND FIND MORE ANSWERS TO THE QUESTION: WHO AM I?
For more digging deeper articles visit: www.bedrockchurch.com
More in Identity
November 9, 2008Who am I? Conclusion
October 26, 2008Who am I? Pt. 4
October 19, 2008Who am I? Pt. 3